Wilcox Mission Statement
The purpose of Wilcox High School is to educate, empower, and enable all students to become caring, contributing citizens who can succeed in an ever-changing world. Wilcox High School is committed to focusing on high expectations and individual academic success and to creating a community of respect and responsibility.
Wilcox Vision Statement
Wilcox High School will be a nurturing, safe and professional environment that supports the educational success and social, emotional, and physical development of all students. Courses will be academic, engaging, and standards-based, with a focus on the learner. All school staff will be highly qualified and caring instructors who are attentive to the educational, cultural and physical needs of students and the Wilcox community. Parents will be positive, supporting members of the school community. Students will be respectful, self-disciplined, productive citizens who think critically, make informed decisions and act ethically.
Wilcox Community Values
- We will provide a safe environment that fosters positive character and accountability and that values individuality by treating all members of the school community with dignity and respect.
- We will conduct the business of education in a professional, ethical, and legal manner.
- We will help to ensure an orderly atmosphere conducive to learning, in the classroom and on campus, by communicating school rules to students and parents and by modeling and enforcing these rules.
- We will honor classroom instructional time and minimize classroom interruptions in order to maximize student learning.
- We will demonstrate our belief and expectation that every student is capable of learning and should be held accountable for his/her performance and citizenship.
- Through consistent, high expectations for teaching and learning, we will hold students responsible for thinking, creating, and problem solving and encourage students to recognize and transfer the aesthetics in each discipline.
- We will design and implement standards-based lessons and assessments based on curriculum maps and California State Content Standards.
- We will work collaboratively using data to develop, implement and reexamine lessons, activities and assessments to support students in reaching their potential.
- We will vary methods of assessment both to evaluate student learning and to inform instruction.
- We will be committed to the social, emotional, and academic development of each student by recognizing and nurturing their individual potential and talent.
- We will commit to working with students and their families to achieve student success by providing timely and meaningful information on student progress and offering suggestions for assisting their academic growth.
- We will model self-discipline, self-motivation, and commitment to excellence by being prepared, responsible and respectful.
- We will recognize, celebrate and enthusiastically support student success and the contributions of our colleagues throughout the school year.
- We will be accountable and knowledgeable and demonstrate our commitment to continuous improvement through life-long learning and professional development.
- We will work collaboratively to provide support and professional assistance to move students toward achieving intended outcomes.
- We will develop an environmental ethic by committing to and initiating sustainable practices.
- We will follow school rules and be responsible for our own actions.
- We will be active, respectful, and supportive citizens in our school and community.
- We will keep our campus clean, and will not litter or vandalize our school.
- We will come to school every day, be on time, and be prepared and ready to learn.
- We will be responsible for our own academic success by being organized, completing our assignments, and staying updated on grades.
- We will do our best to participate fully in class by working with our peers and teachers in order to achieve academic success.
- We will be dedicated to learning, and will make success at Wilcox and beyond our top priority.
- We will engage in positive activities that promote healthy relationships while preventing conflicts, fights, and drama.
- We will not engage in bullying, harassment, profanity, or any other activities that harm others physically or mentally.
- We will promote a safe environment by dressing appropriately and proactively ensuring the safety of our surroundings.
- We will work to manage our stress, to get enough sleep, and to lead healthy lifestyles.
- We will utilize all available resources here at Wilcox, including teachers, counselors, psychologists, and administrators, in order to resolve conflicts and maintain our personal well-being.
- We will respect ourselves, our peers, and our school by not cheating or plagiarizing.
- We will use technology responsibly.
Being Good Parents
- We will mentor our children, be attentive to their needs and be actively involved in all aspects of their life.
- We will provide a home environment that is conducive to personal achievement and success within the school and the community.
- We will place the physical, social, mental and academic development of our children as a top priority, and will therefore continually be available to our children for help and support.
- We will model responsibility, respect and tolerance at home and in the community and encourage our children to do the same.
- We will maintain open lines of communication with our children so that we may know their successes and struggles at school, their interests and their friends.
- We will communicate expectations, provide structure, and set appropriate limits for our children.
- We will discuss with our children all necessary issues regarding their personal health, safety and well-being, and will do what is required to help them in these areas.
- We will strive to not be discouraged by the difficulties of raising children, and will remember the importance and value of being involved in our children’s lives.
Being Role Models and Advocates
- We will value education and clearly communicate its importance to our children.
- We will ensure that our children attend school every day and take their learning responsibilities seriously.
- We will encourage our children to set goals and do their best so that they can reach their full potential.
- We will model and promote a work ethic that values attendance, punctuality, preparedness and participation in and outside the classroom.
- We will ensure that our children arrive at school on time and with the necessary supplies.
- We will work in tandem with our children, their teachers and the school administration to prepare our children to be successful contributing members of the community.
- We will proactively communicate to teachers and administrators any concerns or needs to help our children be more successful.
- We will support the staff at Wilcox, and will remind our children that teachers and administrators are looking out for students’ best interests.
- We will stay informed of school activities by reading school newsletters and accessing electronic communications.
- We will continually monitor our children’s progress by regularly checking their grades on School Loop and/or contacting their teacher.
- We will attend parent-oriented school functions such as Back-to-School Night and Open House.
- We will support the Wilcox PTSA and ELAC (English Language Advisory Committee) by participating in these groups and their activities.
- We will encourage our children to be involved in activities in and outside the classroom, and we will support these activities by volunteering time and/or providing financial support for such activities.
- We will support and mentor new parents and students in the Wilcox community.