Wilcox High School
Interscholastic Athletic Policies
Commitment and Behavior
- As a member of a Wilcox Team, you will make a commitment to that team for the entire sports season.
- The sport season is considered to have started once the coach has made final cuts
- Failure to complete a sport season will result in:
- Restriction from trying out for another sport in the current sport season
- Restriction from trying out for the next sport season until the current sport season is completed
- Ineligibility for the athletic points and awards
- You are representative for Wilcox High School.
- Your behavior reflects upon everyone on this team and on this campus.
- Athletes are expected to follow school rules, to set a good example for the other students and to maintain high standards of sportsmanship during competition.
Attendance and Excused Absences
- Must attend all days during try-out period. Three unexcused absences could result in being cut from the team.
- You must attend all team practices and games unless excused.
- Advanced Excuse. For appointment, trips, and other commitments, you may be excused if you give THREE days advanced notice in writing to the coach. More than three such excuses during the season will be considered excessive.
- Illness, absent from school. Phone call to coach to let the coach know you will not be there.
- Illness, present in school. You must check in with the coach before going home.
- There is a minimum of 5 day tryout period for all students
- The tryout period is started from the first day tryouts are allowed and for the next 5 days.
- Overlapping sports will be given 5 days from the last day of the previous sport.
- If students miss any of those 5 days it may count against their opportunity of making a team.
Daily Practice and Game Procedures
- Practice starts promptly at the time set by the coach.
- You will have all your equipment on before the scheduled practice time.
.Uniforms, Warm-ups and Equipment
- All clothing and equipment issued to you is your responsibility and must be returned in the same condition.
- Penalty: Athletes will be fined for damages and losses and payment must be made within one week following the last team contest. Diplomas and school activities may not be restricted and/or held.
- Team clothing is to be worn as authorized by the coach, not indiscriminately around campus or town and NEVER to be loaned to other students.
- Transferring from one high school to another is common and legal.
- However, proper paperwork must be filled out to insure eligibility.
- Proper paperwork varies, depending on what type of transfer the student has done.
- Initial Eligibility starts at the school the student enters and a 9th grader.
- Neither player nor parent can be contacted by any one from the new school to persuade them to attend that school. In addition no one from the old school can influence a player to remain.
What to do if you are a TRANSFER STUDENT
- If you have transferred into Wilcox within the last year, PLEASE see your coach and Athletic Director so we can fill out the proper paperwork.
1. To be eligible to compete in high school athletics in California, students must comply with all State, Sections, District and school eligibility rules.
- Academic Eligibility. Students must be enrolled in and passing 20 semester units and maintain and 2.0 GPA for the preceding and current grading periods.
- Academic probation may be granted for students with 1.60 to 1.99 GPA
- Must be making minimum progress towards graduation.
- Academic Probation can only be applied for twice in your high school career.
- Once as a 9th and 10th grader
- Once as a 11th and 12th grader
- Cannot be consecutive quarters
- Grade checks will be done every TWO WEEKS while on probation.
- Applications may be picked up from the Athletic Directors in the athletic offices.
- Annual Physical Examination/Accident Insurance/Parent Permission Forms. Check with your insurance they may only pay for one physical a year – however, in order for a student to participate in athletics they must have a current physical (one calendar year)
- Medical clearance and proof of insurance must be on file in the athletic offices.
- Permission Forms on file with the Athletic Directors. (Concussion, Steroid, Transportation, Participation)
- Athletes may purchase school insurance for coverage or to supplement family insurance.
- Outside Competition Rule. Athletes may not play in a game on an outside team during the high school season of that same sport.
- Penalty: (Rules 3-6) The school team must forfeit all contest in which in ineligible athlete competes
Sportsmanship (Players, Parents and Fans)
- CCS Definition- A person who can take a loss or defeat without complaint, or victory without gloating and who treats his/her opponents with fairness, courtesy and respect.
- Coaches, players and spectators will respect the integrity and judgment of the sport officials
- The following behavior is unacceptable at all high school contests.
- Any violation could at least result in removal from the contest (players/coaches) or stands (spectators).
- Berating your opponent’s school or mascot
- Berating opposing players
- Obscene cheers or gestures
- Complaining about officials’ calls (verbal or gestures)
- Artificial noise makers
- Negative signs
Please review and sign transportation sheet
- Athletic Bus trips are expensive.
- If taking a bus, each team is responsible to pay for their bus trips.
- Parents can donate to help cover the cost of bus trips.
- Teams can fundraise for these costs.
- Please see the coaches or athletic director if you wish to donate.
- Wilcox High School Rule.
Attendance. A student who misses any part of the school day without office clearance (cutting) is ineligible to participate on that day.
- Students have to be in attendance of four periods (regular schedule)/two periods (block schedule) on the day of competition in order to eligible to play.
- The only exceptions are school business and family emergency.
- Wilcox High School Rule.
Suspension. Suspended students are denied to privilege of attending school functions.
- Wilcox High School Rule.
Students will not use tobacco, drugs, and alcoholic beverages.
- Penalty: Temporary or permanent suspension from athletic participation at the discretion of the principal.
COACHES MAY ALSO HAVE INDIVIDUAL SPORT TEAM RULES
IN ADDITION TO THESE WILCOX HIGH SCHOOL POLICIES.
Anabolic Steroid/Performance Enhancing Drug Policy
This policy is specifically directed toward student use of anabolic steroids, stimulants or other drugs that might enhance performance and participation in athletics at Wilcox High School.
1. Any student suspected of using or having used anabolic steroids or a performance-enhancing drug is to be reported to the administration. Teachers, coaches or other school officials are expected to report and known users and/or names of any students suspected of use.
2. An inquiry will be conducted by the administration and/or coaching staff to determine whether or not there is reasonable suspicion that the individual in question may be currently using or has used a performance enhancing drug. Conferences and interviews will be scheduled as deemed necessary and parents will be notified if there is evidence of a potential problem or if questions remain unanswered.
1st Offense- Forfeiture of 50% of the sport season currently involved in, or the remainder of the season if less than 50% remaining.
2nd Offense- Forfeiture of one full season of sport involved in.
These penalties are in effect over the career of the athlete. They will carry over to the following season in order to be fulfilled.